Welcome to First Grade at Worksheet Universe!
We're glad you stopped by and invite you to browse our collection of first grade worksheets. Many of the worksheets on this page include a skills overview and CCSS alignment.
The printable worksheets found here are used by teachers in the classroom, as homework, and as summer handouts. Parents print a variety of materials to help their struggling student and provide practice during school holidays and summer vacation. Daycare providers often use materials which compliment a theme or activity they are doing with their kids.
As a parent, I understand the time and resource constraints placed on educators and understand that they cannot always provide materials which meet the current needs of my child at this grade level. I encourage you to review materials and select those that challenge your child without frustration. I am providing a first grade skills overview as a very basic guide to what most first grade students are expected to learn.
First Grade Skills Overview
- Legibly print all upper and lower case letters.
- Legibly print numerals 0-9.
- Write sentences using correct punctuation and begin writing stories with a beginning, middle, and end.
- Use common, proper, and possessive nouns and personal, possessive, and indefinite pronouns.
- Use verbs to show past, present, and future.
- When reading or being read to have the ability to identify the main idea, connect individuals and events, and ask and answer questions about the text/story.
- Learn how to use a dictionary, encyclopedia, and computer to find information.
- The first grade child should have the ability to follow directions and be refining their peer interaction skills.
- Ability to count to 100, read and write numerals to 100, and represent a number of objects with a written numeral.
- Order and compare numbers to 100.
- Understand place value and be able to add up to 2 two-digit numbers with no regrouping and subtract numbers with no renaming.
- Tell time to the hour and half-hour using an analog and digital clock.
- Skip count and practice counting coins including pennies, dimes, and nickels.
- Begin to use and understand simple maps and become familiar with a globe.
- Begin learning about their local community, family history, and the natural world.
- First graders should be given the opportunity to use a variety of mediums in art class or at home.
- Introduce them to a variety of music genres through recorded media or better yet, live performances.
- First grade students have a lot of energy and will benefit from activities like bicycling, walking, swimming
First Grade Math Worksheets
CountingDot-to-Dot x 5 - Students will skip count by 5 to connect the dots and complete the picture of a star.
CCSS alignment: 2.NBT.A.2
Dot-to-Dot x 10 - Skip count by 10 to complete the picture of a square.
CCSS alignment:1.NBT.C.5. 2.NBT.A.2
Make A Set - making sets of 12, 24, 33, and 42
Comparing and Ordering NumbersOrdering Numbers - standardized test practice in ordering numbers to 100
Comparing Numbers to 20 - ten worksheet packet providing practice comparing numbers to 20
CCSS: K.CC.7, 1.NBT.B.3
St. Patrick's Day Ordering Numbers to 20 - This fun St. Patrick's Day math worksheet requires students to order four numbers between 1 and 20 from least to greatest.
AdditionAdd and Color Hat - practice adding two 1-digit numbers with sums to 18.
Addition Practice Worksheets 7-10 - add two 1-digit numbers with sums to 18, 21 problems per page
In the Dog House Addition - add a 2-digit number and a 1or 2-digit number without regrouping,
Addition Practice - nine addition worksheets with sums to 18
Horizontal Addition #9 - sums to 18
Horizontal Addition #8 - sums to 18
Horizontal Addition #7 - sums to 18
Math at the Pond - add 2-digit numbers with sums to 100 and solve the maze
Dinosaur Addition - picture addition with sums to 10
Adding Tens Drill Sheets - sums to 100
Addition to Ten - sums to 10
Adding to Twenty - find the sums to 20
35 Pages of Addition - adding two 2-digit numbers without carrying
Valentine's Day Addition With Sums to 10
Easter Addition Practice - sums to 99
SubtractionValentine's Day Subtraction - subtracting within 10
Time and MoneyMatch the Time - connect the analog and digital clocks that have the same time
Counting Nickels- count nickels and write the amount
PatternsFruit Patterns - finish each pattern
Graphing and MeasurementTrudy Turnips Garden - count and graph worksheet
Let's Think About Rulers - measurement and estimation
Fact FamiliesFact Families - complete the fact families
GeometryFollow the Directions Worksheet B -practice with color recognition, position, and shapes
Amazing Letters for Color Printers - trace upper and lower letters of the alphabet as well as words that begin with each letter
Amazing Letters for Monochrome Printers - 26 pages of practice tracing upper and lower letters of the alphabet as well as words that begin with each letter
Blank Printing Paper
Reading and Language Arts Worksheets
Grammar and MechanicsGoing Fishing - read, trace, and copy a sentence then cut and paste the word fishing on the page
Read, Color, and Copy 1-10 - 10 pages of practice reading and copying sentences and coloring pictures
Punctuation Practice #4 - multiple choice punctuation worksheet
Going Swimming - read each sentence and insert a period or question mark
Grammar Park - read each sentence and insert a period or question mark
Plural Nouns #2 - combines counting and language arts
Boys and Girls - identify the complete subject and the complete predicate
Animal Friends - draw a line separating the complete subject and complete predicate
Using I or Me - complete each sentence with I or ,e
Jack and Jill Bake a Cake - using are and is
Nouns Worksheet 3 - read the text and circle the noun
Nouns worksheet 1 - read each sentence and identify the noun
Nouns and Plural Nouns - identify and list the nouns and plural nouns
Recognizing Verbs - read the text and circle the verb
Recognizing Verbs 2 - circle the verb in each sentence
Letter from California - proof-read and insert commas and capital letters where appropriate
PhonicsThe Long i Sound #2 - select the correctly spelled word to complete each sentence
The Long i Sound - sort long i rhyming words
The Long A Sound #2 - complete each sentence with the correctly spelled word
The Long A Sound - long a rhyming words
Ending Consonants - say, trace, and print consonants then color the picture with the same ending sound
Beginning Consonants - five worksheets
Long /oo/ Sound - complete the spelling of the /oo/ words
VocabularyMatching Words #5 and #6 - circle the Dolch words in each set that are the same
Matching Words #1 and #2 - circle the primary Dolch words in each set that are the same
Day at the Beach - circle and print the words that complete each sentence
Tillie the Troubled Turtle - unscramble the opposite Dolch words
Dog Maze - Simple maze with word recognition
ComprehensionBetty Bear - read, cut, and paste to show sequence of four
Story Sequence - order events as they happen in nursery rhymes
Fantasy or Reality - distinguish between realistic or fantasy
Following Directions - relational words and following directions
Turtle Word Search - turtle names word search puzzle
Birds and Mammals - sort and classify birds and mammals
Following Directions Worksheet 1 - recognizing animals and following directions
My First Vegetable Word Search - find the names of vegetables in the puzzle
Rainbow Colors - find the color words
Beginning Map Worksheet - questions about north, south, east, and west
Bee Maze - pencil control is stressed when helping the bee get to the hive
Hey diddle diddle - coloring page of dog laughing
Hey diddle diddle - coloring page of cow jumping over the moon